The Town of Oxford's redesigned website was re-launched on Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2011 with a new look and new features. When the current Website Committee was appointed in 2008, the town's website was receiving about 40,000 - 50,000 site visits per year. In the fall of 2009, the town website was relaunched and by the end of 2009, the site attracted 110,000 site visits for calendar year 2009. Based on the current pace of monthly site visitors, the town's website will achieve 250,000 site visits by the end of this year, a 500% increase since 2008.
For the last 6 months, the Website Committee has worked with KD Interactive in redesigning the current website to one that offers an upgraded look, better navigation, and more user friendly features.
The goal of designing a website is to minimize scrolling and to place as much information in front of the user as possible, but in an easy to use way. We believe we have achieved this goal.
- The top of the page has (4) rotating stories that change every 7 seconds. You can click on any of these stories to be brought to the linked information.
- Any time there is an Emergency Notice that needs to be released to the residents of Oxford, Town Hall now has the ability to post this information as soon as it becomes available. This will show up on ALL web-pages within the red box. To remove this red box, you simply click Close and the red area minimizes into a red asterisk along the top of the menu.
- Below the rotating stories on the Home page are (4) tabs on the left and (4) tabs on the right. By clicking on any of the tabs, you are instantly given relevant information within that tab without ever having left the Home page.
- The graphical icons that many users have come to know are still available and are shortcuts to other relevant information on the site.
- A major addition to the new town website is the ability to sign up to receive instant notification of when new Agendas, Meeting Minutes, or Emergency Notifications are posted for the specific item you want to receive information about. You have the choice to receive not only an email, but an SMS Text Alert as well. This added feature, with respect to the Emergency Notifications, adds another layer of communication for the residents of Oxford to receive important information.
- As has been done during the past two local election cycles, links to important voter documents and sites has been added. Links includes the candidate websites, Facebook pages, and Town Committee pages, as well as the CT Secretary of State website.
- An enhanced business listing is with the ability to add logos and additional information not previously available.
Along with the above features, there will be other new items that are planned for the redesigned website. As always, if you have any comments, suggestions, corrections, please feel free to email the Website Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.